Users do not need a ScienceBase account if they want to search for publicly available items.
If users would like to contribute content to a ScienceBase community or have access to permission-controlled scientific data products, they must contact the community manager to request access.
- Community managers may grant access to DOI employees (and non-DOI employees who have previously used ScienceBase or myUSGS systems) to their communities.
- If a DOI employee has never used ScienceBase or other myUSGS systems, they must log into ScienceBase first before the community manager can grant them permission to their community.
- To login, the username is your full DOI email address and the password is your Active Directory password.
- Non-DOI users MUST be sponsored by a USGS employee for access to ScienceBase.
- To sign up for access to ScienceBase, go to MyUSGS, and in the Identity Management section click "Sign Up".
- The user will be prompted to enter an email address and a CAPTCHA.
- The user will then receive a registration email with a link to follow to enter their email address, first and last name, and the email of their USGS sponsor.
- Once the user submits the registration, an email will be sent to the sponsor to verify registration.
- After the sponsor verifies the registration, the user will receive an email from myUSGS with their username and password.
- Once the user has access to ScienceBase, they may still need to contact the community manager to receive access to the desired community space or permission-controlled scientific data products.
For information about creating content, managing permissions, and creating shortcuts in ScienceBase, please see the ScienceBase Items help section.