Typed information accompanying contact prints: Roll #13 June 11, 1980
Roll 13 Frames 1 thru 8 show a severely damaged caterpillar tractor. It was a nearly new D8 or D9. The right track is missing, the blade is missing, the cab is missing. This vehicle is located at T10R5S32 E .3 N .7, Upper Coldwater Creek.
1. Front view of the radiator
2. View of the left side. Note that the ash is piled up against the left side and the rear of the vehicle
3. Desiccated body of a small animal, probably a chipmunk, photographed undisturbed. It was near the left track of the vehicle
4. The sheet metal has been heavily pummeled. A part of the right rear post of the operator's cage is still in place; the bracket deformation indicates the post has been bent both out and in (see 35m slide number 18)
5. View of the tank between the operator and engine
6. View looking east. The vehicle rests on about 2 feet of ash and debris. There is a log o about 24 inch diameter just visible in the incised stream immediately north of vehicle. This log now forms a small dam to the incised stream; the pre-eruption ground surface probably lies beneath this log, giving a minimum depth of material under the tractor of approximately 2 feet. The pre-eruption location of the vehicle was thought to have been somewhat above the center of the picture, at the left end of the road which comes in from the right. This would imply displacement of about 650 feet toward Azimuth 290 degrees and an elevation drop of about 150 feet. The intervening slope was not examined for bounce marks; however no obvious gouge scars are visible in this frame.
7. View approximately northwest showing the vehicle (lower left) and the low ridge which separates the drainage next to the vehicle from Coldwater Creek proper.
8. View toward the northwest showing the vehicle in its present location and, at right center, the upper road where the vehicle was thought to have parked on May 18.
9. View looking south at a tracked vehicle located at T10R5S32 E .4 N .5. The top of the equipment is now down and on the east.
Photos of Mount St. Helens area, June 4 to 11,1980 taken by Hugh H. Kieffer, many from helicopter using Honeywell Pentax 6X7 (70 mm film), 105 mm lense.
Township North, Range East, Section, decimal miles East from SW corner, decimal miles North from SW corner.
Harry's Ridge. The ridge west of the west arm of Spirit Lake. From T9R5S15 E.6 N .5 to S10 E
.2 N .9
L: Look direction, compass point or Azimuth from North
CP: Center of picture